Friday, January 27, 2012

He's Six

It was 6 years ago today that our baby boy came into the world. It's been the case in our family that each of our kids' labors have been true to their personalities. Spencer was born on a Friday, but my labor had started on the Tuesday before. I had intense contractions for two hours and then they just stopped. That Friday, we ate a big pancake breakfast [I know, not the smartest thing to eat before you give birth!] at Avalon Diner in Houston, TX and headed over to the my doctor's office to see what was going on. Turns out I was already dilated 6 inches and since it was my 2nd, the doctor was concerned about sending me back out into the world for the weekend. Thankfully while I was there, I had some strong contractions and was sent to delivery. I can remember saying to the nurse "Maybe this one is going to be my easy-going one, a stop and smell the roses kind of guy." Both of which couldn't be more true about the perfect little man that was born that day.



He's never in much of a hurry -- always on "Spencie-time" -- and doesn't get his feathers ruffled too often. He can find contentment in just being. He could snuggle for hours, happy just to be with you in that moment. He has a passion for art, and has started telling people "I'm going to be a designer like my mom." I almost start crying every time he says it, too. It is an absolute joy to be his mother.

[PHOTO: Laura Negri Photography]

5 comments:

Julie & Jack Perry said...

my kind of guy! happy bday to your little bee!

wish i could give him a big hug!

6!!! that means annie's bday is coming up and she's going to be 6!!! i can't stand it.

Heather said...

Holy moly; these kids just keep growing up!

Happy Birthday, Spencer!!!!!!

Such a sweet post, Alston. I hoping for one of those labors in the next couple of weeks. :)

Shae said...

Just found your blog and can't wait to read it. I am from Houston, and you had me at "Avalon" cafe! Debra is our favorite waitress and now she moved to the new Avalon by our house!

Alison Michael said...

So sweet Alston! I loved reading this.

Kimberly said...

This is so cute! Love the part about being a designer. Meant to comment the other day that you were in my 'hood in Chicago. I live a block away from Girl and the Goat! Hope you had fun! LOVE your work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails