Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Go Garden Green


In honor of Earth Day, I'd like to celebrate the fact that the Obamas have started planting a vegetable garden on the South Lawn of the White House. Obviously, I don't think that Michelle and Barrack are going to be out there everyday weeding, what with all the other responsibilities that accompany that office, but I like the symbolism of it. That they think it is a worthwhile endeavor may encourage others to do the same. [Find out more here]

We are putting an offer in on another house today -- it's a real fixer-upper, but it's got potential. I made sure there was a spot, though, just in case, for a patch of veggies -- nothing beats homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers in my opinion! And in Florida, the growing season is so long, too. I'll let you know what happens.

Here are some other veggie gardens that have been inspiring me lately...

There's a good little article over at Southern Living with some basics for growing your own veggies, complete with pictures...

[mmmmm....]

This next one is a garden by Marney Bean that was featured in Martha Stewart...

She does such an amazing job of mixing ground covers and flowering plants with her cabbage, kale, tomatoes and onions. And in this next one, she surrounds an artichoke plant with flowering herbs.


Happy Earth Day!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails