Monday, May 24, 2010

And You?



I'm fascinated by the book by Kate Bingaman-Burt called Obsessive Consumption: What Did You Buy Today?. One, hand drawn ink illustrations rock. Two, I love a good journal, especially with pictures. And three, I'm nosy, and I like knowing what other people have been up to.



Here's a little blurb from her website about it:

"I've been drawing something that I purchase every day since February 5, 2006. Obsessive Consumption represents a selection of these daily drawings. I draw objects that are rather ordinary: Coke cans, Post-it notes, toilet bowl cleaner-sundry items that a lot of consumers have a shared experience with; items that we interact with, but don't really think about. I love documenting the mundane and, in turn, putting a personal face on something that is mass-produced. I make work about personal consumerism, market economies, guilt, joy, excess, more guilt, gifts, celebration, repetition, and the community of these shared experiences."



And I see she made a stop at my hometown airport...



When we'd fly in from Boston, we'd make a mad dash to the Chick Fil A on Concourse B. Chicken never tasted so good.

I actually haven't bought anything today, but yesterday I bought Silly Bandz for the boys. Sea Creature ones. Isn't it funny how these things catch on at schools? Reminds me of the black rubber bracelets I used to link together a la Ricky Schroeder in Silver Spoons.

How about you?

[Obsessive Consumption available at Amazon or through the author's website, where you can get a signed drawing to accompany the book!]

1 comment:

Anna Louise said...

Cool-- I wonder where she got her black owl earrings?

Related Posts with Thumbnails