Sunday, November 2, 2008

My Nan

[My Nan at 17 years old]

My grandmother, who I loved dearly, passed away 4 years ago, but we started losing her about a decade earlier to Alzheimer's. She was such an amazing lady, who survived the loss of her first husband in a Naval ship accident when he was 28 yrs old - they had two small sons. She went on to get a job and worked her way up until she was the secretary to the president of a major insurance company [no small feat for a woman in the 50's + 60's with small kids]. She was an incredibly talented pianist and organist, playing everyday until she couldn't remember how to do it anymore. Every Easter she made this awesome coconut cake shaped like a huge bunny with black jelly bean eyes. I would beg and beg to spend the night at her house - I loved it there with all her silk and chiffon nightgowns to wear. And I loved it when she would take me to school the next morning in her white VW Rabbit hatchback. I miss her everyday.

Did you know that November is Alzheimer's Awareness month? In memory of my Nan, a portion of all b.wise papers sales this month will go to the Alzheimer's Association.

And if you are looking for a gift idea for the holidays, check out J. Hill's Block Island Print [a portion of these sales also goes to the Alzheimer's Association]...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails