Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Perfect Match



Every now and again I like to chat a little bit about my design process. [I posted about two of my holiday 2010 designs here]. Today, let's talk about the design The Perfect Match available for sale at Minted. The challenge was for Save-the-dates, and I knew I wanted to do something with a matchbook. One because I love matchbooks, and if I spot a basket full of matchbooks at, say, a restaurant, they need to restock by the time I've left.



And two because I love a good play on words. So, I started sketching.



I'm also a little bit obsessed with Adios Script, and thought it would be the perfect complement to a matchbook illustration. For the colors, I wanted something feminine juxtaposed with something bold, hence the pale pink and deep red.



It's also available with backer options. You gotta love a backer, right?



So there's your design insight for the day!

[Collage Images clockwise from top left: Posh Chicago pink matches via Oh Joy; Aubrey Beardsley matchboxes via Collection A Day; Vintage china Sedona Bride; Mermaid matches by Louise Fili; Magpie and Rye Matches; Matchbooks via Mint Design Blog. Perfect Match images from Minted and sketchbook image from yours truly]

1 comment:

Bravehearted Beauty {formerly LLH Designs} said...

Such a clever design, Alston! Love it! And I always enjoy the behind the scenes process.

xo,
Linsey

Related Posts with Thumbnails